Friday, September 07, 2007

My last week or so in Tokyo

Hello all,
My internet has been out at my apartment for the last week so I have not been able to return emails or update my blog. My apologies.
Today I am at my office, it is my last day of work here in Tokyo.
I have been taking pictures of all of my classes and I will post them as soon as I have internet access again and can upload photos.
I have been having a wonderful weak of bitter sweet goodbyes. Looking back now I realized that I have made a lot of friends here in Tokyo, particularly over the past two months. I can't believe the tight friendships I have made since working at Gaba. I was given a wonderful goodbye party last weekend which ended in some crazy karaoke.
I will miss Tokyo, I will miss my job, the children, the Japanese staff, and my co-workers. My each day I say goodbye to a different group of students and they have made me feel so loved and missed. One class memorized the phrase "Thank you very much, we will never forget you." in English!!! They are only 5! It was so touching. Other classes have given presents made by the children or flowers. I in turn have been temporary tattooing the children of Tokyo with Canadian flags and maple leaves. Each class has been so delighted. The temporary tattoos were such a great choice since they are very rare in Japan and most of the teachers had never seen anything like it. Those children who were not up for tattoos got to get shinny stickers, also Canadian in theme. Mom, thanks so much for sending me the tattoos and stickers. I might have to bring temporary tattoos with me as part of my permanent travel kit.
My last few days here in Tokyo will be very full. Tonight I am heading to Odabia with Talal and his friends. Tomorrow Talal and I are hitting Tokyo Disneyland. Sunday we will stroll through Ginza (they close the streets to car traffic ever Sunday), then in the afternoon my student Miho will show Talal and I the results of our English lesson by giving us a Yoga lesson in English, then after that Talal and I will head to Yokohama- ride the ferris wheel and all that. Then Monday it is all business stuff- city office for forms, trip to the bank, packing. The evening is full of my last private lessons and dinner with one of my students. Then Tuesday and Wednesday will be Tokyo days - I am planning to hit Kamakura with Talal one day and Kichijyoji by myself on the other. My last night in Japan will probably involve Karaoke, but other than that I don't have fixed plans. Then Thursay I fly. Talal is taking me to the airport even though I have asked him not to. Crying at the airport is never a nice experience and I have done too much of that already but he won't give up the idea.

So just in case my internet remains down and you don't hear from me until I am in Canada again, this is what I am doing.

Cheers,
Linden

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Linden,
What a fabulous year you have had! have just been speaking with Kathy---your year in review: the visiting friends, your new connections, all the cultural experiences to enrich your days. It will be so good to have you home.
Love,Mom

Anonymous said...

your last week sounds amazing i hope you have a great time... how can you not going to disneyland and doing all that fun stuff... Definatly go to kamakura! i am so happy that you had a good last couple of months in tokyo... i know it will be hard to leave. hope to talk to you soon! i miss you!
love mer

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kathy knows where you can arrange to get the blogg entries and photos put into a book...such a good record and as blogger is free, she doesn't know how long it can be "out there". She will search out the site and let you know. A great idea don't you think?
Love M

Linden said...

that is just what i want! spelling mistakes and all!
haha