Saturday, January 13, 2007

Walking (Sorry, Biking) to the Left

In Japan, we walk on the left. This may not be an issue for some, but I seem to be inept at this. I’m so conditioned to moving to the right that I am forever avoiding collisions. Forget jaywalking, I am not confident that I will look the correct direction: a formula trauma.

Bikers use the sidewalk. Thankfully, only a marginal number of bikers travel at “my” traditional speed. Thus, being passed by Granny with her bushels of veggies does not necessarily translate into a near-death expierence.

Linden is thinking of getting a bike to make the commute to the subway stations more convenient. The parking system for bikes is far more elaborate than anything I’ve ever seen before, whole buildings converted into bike parking lots with allowable times and attendants to watch over the bikes. I’ve learned quickly that one cannot just park anywhere.


No comments: